September 2012 Maintenance update
By the end of September the allotments maintenance team had concluded turning the water supply off on all sites. They then spent a number of weeks finishing off any outstanding clearance jobs prior to focussing on the winter tree works programme which is still ongoing.
Clearance jobs throughout August and September included:
- Strimming unlettable plots in Eastbrook, Camp Site, Moulsecoomb Estate, Whitehawk Hill and Thompson Road
- Repairs to gates and padlocks in Eastbrook, Tenantry Down, Walpole Road and North Nevill
- Fixing water leaks and issues on Weald, Roedale Valley, Tenantry Down and Moulsecoomb Estate
- Clearing rubbish from Ovingdean, Thompson Road and Whitehawk Hill
- Clearing brambles from the fenceline of Thompson Road, which were encroaching on neighbouring gardens
The Allotments Service will also be receiving regular, ongoing assistance from the Probation Service. On one day each month, the Community Payback team will assist with large site projects. Their first task was a series of improvement works at the Race Hill allotment site, and they are now moving on to other sites. We will be receiving regular reports and photos from the Community Payback team over the next few months.