Buying Bees (Nuc Boxes)
BEES FOR SALE
Will have local bees for sale in the Spring (2018) Contact Bee Dispatch for more information
ADVICE FOR BUYING HONEY BEES
You can obtain bees as a full colony, nucleus, package or a swarm.
- Full colonies are usually only available when a beekeeper is selling up or downsizing and are the most expensive way of buy bees.
- Nuclei (Nuc Boxes) are the most common way of purchasing bees. They comprise of five frames of comb, which contain worker bees, brood, a laying queen and honey stores. These generally come in a returnable or supplied travelling box and will need to be transferred to a clean hive.
- Package bees usually contains just worker bees and a queen in a small box weighing roughly 1.5kg with enough fondant for a few days, they do not come with any brood, or frames and need to be housed immediately. This is unusual in the UK.
- Swarms are available to collect. The best way is to contact your local bee division who will put you onto a swarm list. You will need to have a little experience to do this, or get someone who has done this before to help you.
As a guide a good nucleus will:-
- Have a good quality, young laying queen. She may be marked and/or clipped.
- Have all stages of bee brood present.
- Be free of signs of disease.
- Have at least three frames with brood.
- Have four frames or more fully covered with honey bees.
- Have the equivalent of at least one full comb of honey an half a frame of pollen as stores.
- All combs should be in a good and clean condition, preferably being less than one season old.
- Nucleus Boxes will need to be returned.
Nuc Boxes are ideal for beginners and usually cost about £100. If you would like to speak to a local beekeeper or if you would a Nuc Box of Bees or if you have a Nuc Box that you would like to sell then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org